Friday, August 31, 2012

Review: RUMBLE FISH

Summary (taken from Amazon): Rusty-James knows he is a tough teen, but he wants to be even tougher, just like his older brother, the Motorcycle Boy. He wants to stay calm and laugh when things get dangerous, to be the strongest streetfighter and the most respected guy this side of the river.

My Review:  This book was assigned to my entire English class when I was in my first year of high school.  I remember other students thinking it was cool that we got to read about gangs.  I know I was surprised. 

This is the book that made me fall in love with S.E. Hinton's novels.  Hinton also made me fall in love with writing.  The beginning of this book is awesome.  An older Rusty-James meets an old friend on the beach but doesn't recognize him at first.  The memories start flooding back and we find out that Rusty-James has had a difficult life.  He always wanted to be like his older brother.  His best friend (and others) scoff and tell him he'll never be like the Motorcycle Boy.  The sad thing is that he gets his wish. 

The cover: It has been changed many times over the years, but this is the cover that I remember.

 
 
I am giving it a A+, because it is a classic and I can read this book again and again and still enjoy it to this day.

No comments: