Wednesday, September 26, 2012

NaNoWriMo: Are You Going to Write a Novel in November?

This will be my first time.  I was always doing my own thing before, but a friend mentioned it the other day and I thought it sounded exciting.  What is NaNoWriMo?  If you don't know, I'm sure you've at least heard it mentioned on message boards or on blogs. 

November is the national writer's month, and there are a group of people that host a site to get writer's to write.  This site offers forums where you can get inspiration, advice, or just a kick in the butt if you need it.  Writing is usually a lonely job, so this sounds like a great opportunity to me.  I've been having trouble with one particular book for years now.  I've tried and failed to start it several times.  Maybe participating on this site will help me to not only begin the book, but to finish it.

How does it work?  You join (for Free) and agree to try to write every single day in November.  They have a place for you to post your word count for each day.  If you manage to do at least 50,000 words in November, you win. 

What do you win?  Satisfaction.  And I think they give you what they call a badge for your blog or website.  This last year they had a couple of extra prizes.  Winners could get five free copies of their book from Createspace.  In case you don't know, that is about a twenty-five dollar savings. 

Will you join me in November?  Will you pledge to write every day?  Well, will you?  :)

No comments: