Friday, July 19, 2013

Summer Book Swap

Birthright Bestowed by Erika Szabo

Birthright Bestowed

This is the book I was given to read and review for the swap.

Amazon Link:  http://www.amazon.com/Birthright-Bestowed-Erika-M-Szabo/dp/1939217105

Review:  First of all, I need to warn you I do not read books about time travel.  I don't like Dystopian novels or futuristic books. So I started this books with some prejudices.  I also don't like books written in the First Person Point of View.  If you don't know what that is, it's when the main character (sometimes other characters as well) tell the story from their point of view.  There have been a few books over the years written in first person that I have to admit to enjoying, but they are few and far between.

Also, I can't stand to read books that have diary or journal entries.  Personally I think reading someone else's diary is boring.  Although I enjoyed Vampire Diaries, I hated reading those journal excerpts.

There are a few things I found very interesting about this novel and its creator.  Erika Szabo is a Hungarian born American who admits to being fascinated about the legend of the Huns, and that's where this idea came from.  She says there are holes in the legends so she had to use her imagination to fill in the blanks.  I'm not a history fan either, but I do enjoy hearing about lost civilizations and strange facts from the past.

Things I thought were interesting about this book: 

1.  Learning about he Hun culture.
2.  The fact Hun women are not considered women until they are 29.
3.  Her parents are gone so she didn't have anyone to prepare her for what's going to happen to her.
4.  Mystery, romance, and interesting medical information.

Like I said, I do not like books written with a lot of diary excerpts.  If it doesn't bother you, you may like this book.  The reviews on Amazon seem good.  I didn't hate it.  It just isn't my type of thing.  If it sounds at all interesting to you, give it a try.

No comments: